Ready in 45 minutes/1 hour
Serves 4 people
- 1 large sweet potato
- ½ cup coffee
- 4 strips thick-cut bacon, diced
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- ½ cup light brown sugar, packed
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp cumin
- 10 pecans
- 1 sprig of fresh thyme
- Mix coffee, vanilla, and maple syrup in a small bowl and add diced bacon. In a separate bowl, blend brown sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, and cumin, add pecans; set both aside.
- Preheat oven to 375f/190c, cook sweet potato either in the oven or microwave. Allow hot potato to cool then slice open and dice into bite-size pieces.
- Remove diced bacon from the coffee mix, and pecans from brown sugar mix set both aside.
- Pour remaining coffee mixture over the diced sweet potatoes. Fold sweet potatoes through the coffee.
- Add cooking spray or olive oil to an oven-safe dish, strain sweet potato from the coffee and place in the oven-safe dish.
- Add bacon and pecans to the top of the sweet potatoes. Bake for 45 min – 1 hour.
- Reduce the remaining coffee and sugar mixture and drizzle over the sweet potatoes while they’re hot and fresh out of the oven.
Cook time may vary and be longer if sweet potato is oven-baked whole. The microwave is a time saver. Boiling the whole sweet potato is also an option.
*Replace thick-cut bacon with pancetta.
* Try cubed eggplant or tempeh for a meat-free version.